An Emergency Kit is an important step to prepare, survive and recover from an emergency and in that kit, you should have the following:
- 10 litres of water per person (fill up the bath and buckets with clean water)
- Non-perishable food for 3 days
- A First Aid Kit and Manual
- Essential medications and prescriptions
- A torch
- Battery powered radio
- Waterproof jackets and closed shoes for everyone
- As well as a whistle, utility knife, masking tape and plastic garbage bags.
If a Cyclone is approaching do the following:
- Tape up your windows with wide, tape in a criss-cross pattern
- Take in any loose items like garden furniture and toys
- Disconnect all electrical appliances and external TV and radio aerials
- Park any vehicles under cover, away from trees, powerlines and waterways.
- Go to the strongest part of your house – normally the smallest room with the least windows and stay listening to your radio.
EMERGENCY SERVICES CONTACT NUMBERS
Policelink 131 444
Bureau of Meteorology 1300 754 389
Cairns Local Disaster Coordination Service 07 4044 3377
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services 07 3635 3310
RACQ Road Condition Report Centre 131 940
Cairns City Council (24-hour contact) 07 4044 3044
SES Queensland 132 500
Proudly supported by