Rebel Wilson's payout slashed by millions
Hollywood star Rebel Wilson's defamation payout has been slashed from $4.5 million to $600,000 after magazine publisher Bauer Media successfully appealed.
The Court of Appeal in Melbourne found it could not be proven that Wilson missed out on film contracts as a result of magazine articles which painted her as a serial liar and so cut the entire $3.9 million economic damages payout.
But Wilson, who was not in court in Melbourne for Thursday's judgement, said the night before that the case wasn't about money.
"I'm away on location in Europe filming right now," she tweeted on Wednesday night.
"As I've said before, I have already won the case and this is unchallenged!
"This case was never about the money for me."
The high-profile defamation suit was over a number articles, published in 2015, which said the Pitch Perfect actress told fibs to further her acting career.
Wilson said the articles caused damage to her reputation and claimed she lost feature film roles and future earnings as a result.
She won the suit and in September was awarded the largest defamation payout in Australian legal history.
The $4.5 million awarded by Supreme Court Justice John Dixon included $3.9 million in economic damages relating to a loss of income.
But Bauer Media instantly appealed against the record payout, saying it was excessive.
The court found there was no basis for Wilson to be awarded damages for the potential loss of roles.
"The evidence Ms Wilson relied upon was not sufficient to establish that there existed the valuable lost opportunities she contended," Justice Pamela Tate told the court.
"Ms Wilson was unable to establish that there was a causal connection between the defamatory publications, for which Bauer Media was responsible, and any loss.
"This court has therefore rejected Ms Wilson's claim that she suffered economic loss."
The Court of Appeal also reduced Wilson's non-economic damages from $650,000 to $600,000.
The company's general counsel Adrian Goss said Bauer Media welcomed the decision.
Wilson, who starred in the Pitch Perfect films as well as How To Be Single and Bridesmaids, has promised to give away any damages to charity and the Australian film industry.
During the four-week defamation trial last year, Wilson cried as she said "vulture" journalists from Bauer Media ripped her to shreds and ruined her years of hard work to make it in Hollywood.
The six-woman jury decided in favour of Wilson, finding the articles from Woman's Day, Australian Women's Weekly, NW and OK magazine were not substantially true and were likely to harm her.
© AAP 2018